My Flat Your Flat Our Place presents a selection of photographs of named student flats in the North Dunedin area, taken over the last ten years. The exhibition highlights this ephemeral and unique aspect of print culture in Dunedin. It also makes a connection between the naming of flats by students as an expression of identity, and the creation of a sense of place.
Visit the exhibtion: 10-14 August, The Link (between the Union building and Library on Cumberland St opp. the Museum), University of Otago.
Be part of the project:
I’m writing a book about the named flats – here’s how you can be involved:
- If you’re visiting the exhibition, a write a comment and your email address on one of the supplied postcards and pop it in the exhibition letterbox
- Join the Facebook group (below) and add your own photos and stories
- Email me at email@example.com
For further information check out:
- Facebook group: Dunedin (NZ) Student Flat Names
- A google map of all known named flats
- The online exhibition – My Flat Your Flat Our Place
- A slide show of all of the flats photographed since 2000
- Dunedin Student Flat Names Archive on The Community Archive (NRAM)
- Reprints and posters are available to purchase
Many grateful thanks to the following people for sponsoring this exhibition:
Cheers, Sarah Gallagher