I’ve had the opportunity to present as a guest lecturer and at a number of conferences and community events. Each opportunity has drawn out memories and flat stories which continues to enrich the project. Below are links to the presentations or publications where they are available online.
Dunedin Heritage Festival: Town and Gown. Heritage Bytes. Why Dunedin’s Named Flats are Part of our Heritage, 28 September 2019
Talk at Otago Medical School Class of 1999 reunion, 22 September 2019
Scarfie Flats Walking Tour. Part of Otago Museum’s Dare to be Wise exhibition event series, 1 September 2019
Scarfie Flats: Hidden Depths. Part of Otago Museum’s Dare to be Wise exhibition event series, 22 August 2019
Semiotics and the City: the case of Dunedin’s Named Flats, MFCO 312, 14 August 2019
Researching in the Open: the how, the why, and how it all played out, Graduate Women Otago, June 2019
Dunedin Writers & Readers Festival, 12 May 2019
Researching and Writing Dunedin History, University of the Third Age, March 2019
Hand on History, presentation and walking tour, January 2019
Presentation to Media Film and Communication class on semiotics and the city, August 2018
Articles in Critic
- The signmaker, Critic, Issue 12, 2018
- Double the fun, Critic, Issue 11, 2018
- Where the streets have many names, Critic, Issue 9, 2018
- Staying in touch, Critic, Issue 8, 2018
- The Six60 Flat, Critic, Issue 7, 2018
- Being something you’re not, Critic, Issue 6, 2018
- Who gnomes about Pussy Planet? Critic, Issue 5, 2018
- Signs of Sex, Critic, Issue 4, 2018
- Stolen Signs, Critic, Issue 3, 2018
- The Debacle, Critic, Issue 2, 2018
- The Influence of J.K Rowling, Critic, Issue 1, 2018
- Dunedin #Flatnames Project . National Digital Forum, Te Papa, Wellington, November 2013.
- Community Voice: Society through the ages. Dunedin Public Library, Dunedin, October 2010.
- Hanging out: preserving an ephemeral print culture in Dunedin. LIANZA Conference, University of Otago, Dunedin, December 2010.
- The inaugural NZ Twitter Conference [#TweCon], December 2010.
- Pecha Kucha #5, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin, March 2010.
- My Flat Your Flat Our Place – an exhibition at OUSA Art Week, University of Otago, Dunedin, August 2009. View the online version.