Here’s a link to a street interview conducted by Channel 9 News on June 23, 2010.
What do you think are the identifiers of student culture in Dunedin?
A couple of weeks ago I heard a rumour the Ori (Oriental Tavern) had been bought by the University. “NO”, I implored, slightly scandalised, “surely not. They’ve only just bought the Gardies”.
As the campus expands more room is required and buying up buildings for sale for the purpose, or investment is a sensible idea. The Bowler and The Gardies have been purchased in the last 13 months; establishments that were favoured watering holes of scarfies past and present. The fact that they are being bought up performs a dual purpose – much needed space for the expansion of campus, and a possible quieting of the local drinking culture. I imagine scarfies will be either doing more drinking at home or moving into the CBD.
- University buys the ‘Bowler’ / ODT 21.03.09
- University not buying more hotels / ODT 21.09.09
- Offer accepted for Gardens Tavern / ODT 31.03.10
- Varsity buying, closing bar / ODT 01.04.10
- Final Farewell planned for Gardens Tavern / ODT 13.04.10
- Students urged to buy pub / ODT 31.03.10
- ‘Serious disorder’ feared at tavern closing party / ODT 29.05.10
- Liquor ban / Radio NZ 31.05.10, 14:24